Sunday, May 20, 2012

Work Out Club!!!

Since being back from vacation I started a work out club at my school.  We meet on Mondays and Wednesdays after school for about an hour after school.  Our normal routine is to do an activity called card work out.  I use a deck of cards and each suit is assigned a different exercise for example hearts is push ups, diamonds is burpies or down ups (we call it push up jumps the translation is easier!), spades is sit ups, etc.  It keeps everyone involved when a lot of guys are there and we don’t have much equipment.  I also bring a jump rope and a resistance band.  The resistance band is a favorite by the guys they make up all kinds of crazy exercises with multiple guys pulling on it at the same time.  We also do other activities like competitions of pushups, wall sits, or calisthenics running back and forth across the hall.  Usually at the end I have either a football or a Frisbee and we go outside and practice throwing.  I also got a volleyball sent by my parents which has been a huge hit!

It has been a really enjoyable part of the week and the older students love it.  It gives them a chance to do something besides sit in the same seat and copy notes.  They need some other kind of activity in their day.  It has been more difficult to keep up as the semester has gotten near the end and things have gotten busy and the days are short and the students don’t have much time to get home before dark.  The space that we use for the club is the newly built hall which rarely gets used for any other activity even though we have 70 student classes and the space would be well served as a classroom or two.  It has been really fun and I need some new exercise activities to keep them engaged so if you have ideas let me know but hopefully I can keep it going next term!





No comments:

Post a Comment