Monday, May 21, 2012

African Library Project – Makhoakhoa Primary


During my first few months at site I visited the local schools other than mine to introduce myself and get familiar with the area.  The principle at the primary school asked me if I could help them to get a library and I said that is something I might be able to do!  Through the organization African Library Project donors in the states who do a book drive to raise 500-1000 books and $500 for shipping and match them with communities in Africa to build libraries.  In Lesotho their partner organization is Peace Corps and many volunteers work on setting up libraries.  The application for the library is almost finished and I have been visiting the primary school often to get them to write letters asking for the library and saying how they will support it and discussing the project with the lead teachers.  The primary kids are way cuter than the high schoolers!  I asked East Lansing Public Library to help support my project and while they don’t want to do the whole thing they are willing to supply 100 books.  So if you want to help me with my library let me know!










No comments:

Post a Comment