Saturday, December 31, 2011

Swearing In

On December 11th I was sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer and no longer a trainee. The ceremony was held at the Makola High School. The Bo-Mme cooked a huge feast including a slaughtered cow and bathtubs full of potato salad.

A stage was set up and speeches were made by dignitaries from the US embassy in Lesotho, Lesotho Ministry of Education, Peace Corps, and the village chiefs. The school children at the schools we taught at performed traditional dances and school choir songs.

I had a traditional Basotho top made for the ceremony and most of the girls had traditional sheshweshwe dresses or skirts made for the occasion. Pictured above is all of the members living in the Makola training village and below the four guys in the ED 12 group.

The day after swear in was move out and goodbye day. MmeMatisetso dressed me in a traditional blanket and my Basotho hat I received as a gift and said tearful goodbyes.

With all of my stuff packed I was ready to move to Qholaqhoe (the Q’s are clicks in Sesotho) and get started as a real Peace Corps Volunteer!

No comments:

Post a Comment