Saturday, December 31, 2011

Living Arrangements

I live in a thatched roof roundaval next to my host ntate. Our yard has a chicken coop, small fields, trash burning pit, and latrines. I am planning on starting to develop a flower and vegetable garden after new years.
My house is modest but nice; the thatched roof is quite during the rain and regulates the temperature amazingly well.

The water pump is located about 100 yards from my house and the school is located up the hill about a 10 minute walk from my house. The water is occasionally out and only comes on very early in the morning if we have not recently received rain. The views around Qholaqhoe are excellent and my house is located under Qholaqhoe Mountain for which the region is named.

I have been spending much of my first couple of weeks in village working on arranging and fixing up the inside of my house including painting the walls. My house is equipped with a two burner propane stove, full size bed, armoir, table, space heater for winter, and cooking cabinet.



No comments:

Post a Comment