Friday, October 25, 2013

A Farewell to Qholaqhoe

On Friday, September 20th a Farewell ceremony for the finishing Form E students was held at Qholaqhoe and paired with the official opening of the library building.  It was a day that will forever be in my memory and difficult to describe the enormous love I felt as my service in Lesotho comes to an end. 

Motselisi giving a speech on the importance of libraries

Mme Mosasse, myself, and a representative from the Ministry of Education officially opening the library.

Qholaqhoe teachers and community members checking out the inside of the new library

After the completion of the library the program returned to the main focus of farewell with a full program of speeches, choir songs, and dances.

Ntate Khakhane speaking to parents and form E students on a blustery day, the tent blew away!

Female students performing a traditional dance

Students giving me gifts from the school: Basotho blanket and hat, clay pots, and an electronic gizmo created by Selepe to view pictures on TV.

Qholaqhoe teachers dancing as a show of good luck


The farewell ended with a feast for the Form E students and their parents and a million photos!  The event reminded me of how much Qholaqhoe has meant to me over the last two years.  Though I would by no means claim that living alone in a rural village for two years is comfortable it has made me a better person and the relationships with my students and teachers, I wouldn’t trade for anything.  I have never felt the level of gratitude when my students presented me with so many gifts which they each contributed R2 to purchase!  Thank you for welcoming me into your school community and I am proud of what me and my counterparts have been able to accomplish and I hope Qholaqhoe continues to improve and expand beyond my time here. 

The best of luck to my students as they write their all-important JC and COSC exams!

I leave Qholaqhoe on November 26th, Lesotho on November 29th, and then an exciting amount of travel before arriving in Michigan before Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment